The boxing world is in shock after an explosive incident that took place last night at a promotional event in New York, where former lightweight champion Gervonta “Tank” Davis (30-0-1, 28 KOs) physically attacked his rival Lamont Roach Jr. (24-2-2, 9 KOs). The altercation comes amid a heated controversy over the cancellation of their highly anticipated rematch, ordered by the World Boxing Association (WBA), and has sparked chaos that threatens to further shake up the sport.
The origin of the controversy
The tension between Davis and Roach dates back to their March 1, 2025, fight at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, which ended in a majority draw (114-114, 114-114, 115-113 in favor of Davis). The result was highly controversial, especially due to an incident in the ninth round when Davis took a knee after taking a flurry of punches from Roach, but referee Steve Willis didn’t rule it a knockdown, sparking outrage from Roach’s team and fans. Roach and his team filed a formal protest, claiming the ruling was unfair, and the WBA ordered an immediate rematch to resolve the controversy.
However, on March 26, 2025, the WBA canceled the rematch due to contractual disputes between Davis’s team and the organization, a decision that left both fighters and fans furious. To make matters worse, on March 27, WBA President Gilberto Mendoza Jr. revoked Davis’s boxing license for refusing to comply with the rematch order, leaving his career in limbo. Since then, the animosity between Davis and Roach has reached explosive levels, with the two trading insults on social media and in interviews.
The Attack That Unleashed Chaos
The incident occurred during a promotional event in New York, where Davis and Roach were scheduled to participate in a press conference to discuss the future of their rivalry. According to witnesses, the situation spiraled out of control when Roach, upon entering the stage, provoked Davis by saying, “You can’t face me in the ring, so the WBA had to save you again.” A visibly enraged Davis responded by shouting, “I’m going to show you who I am right now!” Before security could intervene, Davis lunged at Roach, throwing a punch that knocked him to the ground.
Chaos immediately erupted. Members of both teams clashed, while event attendees, including journalists and fans, tried to capture the moment on video. The footage, which has gone viral on social media, shows Roach quickly getting up and trying to fight back, but security managed to separate them before the situation escalated further. Roach suffered a cut lip, but no serious injuries were reported.
Immediate Reactions
Lamont Roach Jr. was quick to respond, addressing the media minutes after the incident. “This shows who Gervonta really is: a coward who can’t control his emotions,” said Roach, blood still visible on his face. “He can’t fight me in the ring, so he resorts to this. Let the WBA ban him for life.” Roach also announced plans to file legal charges against Davis for assault, which could further complicate the former champion’s situation.
For his part, Davis, who was escorted from the venue by his team, posted a video on Instagram shortly afterward, showing little remorse. “Lamont got what he deserved,” said a still visibly shaken Davis. “He keeps talking trash, but I can’t back him up in the ring. The next time I see him, there won’t be any security to save him.” His words have sparked a wave of criticism, with many accusing him of unsportsmanlike behavior and further damaging his reputation.
The Impact on Boxing
The incident has put the WBA in a difficult position. The organization was already facing criticism for its handling of the initial fight and the cancellation of the rematch, and now faces mounting pressure to take action against Davis. Boxing analyst Teddy Atlas, on his podcast, called Davis’s behavior “unacceptable” and called for a lifetime ban. “This is not what boxing stands for,” Atlas said. “Davis is out of control, and the WBA needs to send a clear message.”
Fans are also divided. On X, some supported Davis, with one user writing, “Tank doesn’t take disrespect. Lamont asked for it.” Others, however, condemned his actions, with a comment reading, “Gervonta is ruining his legacy. This is embarrassing for the sport.” The video of the altercation has racked up more than 5 million views in less than 12 hours, becoming one of boxing’s most viral moments of 2025.
An uncertain future for both fighters
For Gervonta Davis, this incident could have devastating consequences. No longer licensed by the WBA, he faces the possibility of additional sanctions, including fines and a possible suspension from other boxing organizations such as the WBC or WBO. Furthermore, if Roach pursues legal charges, Davis could face further prosecution, adding to his previous legal troubles, which include a probation violation in Baltimore earlier this month.
Lamont Roach Jr., on the other hand, has gained public sympathy with this incident, but his focus now is on seeking justice both in and out of the ring. His team has asked the WBA to declare Roach the legitimate lightweight champion, arguing that Davis has proven he doesn’t deserve the title. However, with the lightweight division in a state of uncertainty, Roach may have to face other contenders like Shakur Stevenson or Devin Haney to solidify his position.
A dark chapter in boxing
Gervonta Davis’s attack on Lamont Roach has marked a new dark chapter in their rivalry and in boxing in general. What began as a sports controversy has escalated into a physical confrontation that could have lasting repercussions for both fighters. While the boxing world awaits the WBA’s next actions and potential legal consequences, one thing is certain: the animosity between Davis and Roach is far from over, and their next meeting, whether in the ring or in a courtroom, promises to be just as explosive.